11/25/2019 Dessert Recipes
Apple Orange Cranberry Crisp
Apple Orange Cranberry Crisp Recipe
- 5large apples, peeled, cored and chopped (use a variety, like Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady and Fuji)
- 2 tspsfresh orange juice
- 1 cupfresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tspcinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour)
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and diced into cubes
- ¼ tsp salt
- Microplane apple corer and peeler
- Microplane zester
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- pastry blender
- Peel and core the apples, and chop them into small chunks. Place the apple chunks into a large bowl. Mix in the fresh orange juice, nutmeg, granulated sugar, cranberries, 1 tsp of cinnamon and the zest of one orange. Pour the apple mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, the remaining cinnamon and the zest of another orange. Drop in the cubed butter, and then use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The butter will meld the dry ingredients together into a crumbly mixture. Spread evenly on top of the apple layer.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Best enjoyed warm with a scoop of salted caramel or vanilla ice cream.