Give yourself a treat of this gourmet pizza!
High Plains Fried 3 Cheese Montanara Pizza
- 2 (.25 ounce) packagesactive dry yeast
- 2 tspswhite granulated sugar
- 1 cupwarm water
- 5 cups pizza or bread flour plus ½ cup to flour surface for handling dough
- ½ cup plus 4 tablespoonsolive oil
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 4 clovesgarlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 tsp. crushed red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/4 lb smoked mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 lb fresh sliced mozzarella
- 2 fresh Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh whole basil leaves (Saute lightly over medium heat in skillet in 1 tsp. of olive oil before putting on crust)
- Preheat oven to 425° F. In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Let stand until creamy, about 15 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and oil and beat until smooth.
- Let rest for 10 more minutes.
- Make dough into a large ball on floured surface and cut into four sections to form 4- 7 inch pizza crusts.
- Roll out with floured rolling pin and brush entire edge of crust with additional olive oil.
- Heat skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat with ½ cup of olive oil.
- Fry pizza on each side in olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with salt.
- Divide pizza sauce evenly over salted crusts.
- Top with minced garlic, sprinkle on red pepper flakes, top with all cheeses, and add sautéed basil placed between slices of tomato.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown
- Slice pizzas into 4 slices.