What herbs does this strip?
In testing, we found it strips, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, basil, and other small stemmed herbs.
Why should I de-stem herbs or kale?
- Some herbs, like thyme, rosemary, oregano, tarragon, and marjoram have tough woody stems. These stems change the texture of the dish, and if used in soups should be strained out.
- For garnishing, using the leaves without stems guarantees the best presentation.
- When making Kale chips, or sautéing Kale, the stems take longer to cook leaving tough or chewy bites in the dish.
Are stems edible?
- Yes, most stems are edible and can add flavor, so you don't have to throw them away, instead, put them into a plastic bag and freeze with other vegetable left-overs to make a vegetable stock.
- Use the stems of herbs inside of a chicken when roasting.
- Stems can be used when making herb salts.